I don't know what it is about the new year but at the moment I seem to be in a serious clean-out mode when it comes to all my unfinished projects or bee commitments. So... this week, in particular, I have been concentrating on various bee blocks.
First up is some AMH feather blocks for Lara in the Quilt Club Australia bee. Admittedly these were due last month but I got a little behind as these drove me completely bonkers and ended up sitting on my table half-done for weeks. I am definitely not feeling the love.
Lara asked for feathers in pink, orange and yellow, with a black centre and a grey background. These blocks are large (18" x 9") but, for some strange reason, my first attempt came up a little short. ARGH!
So I tried again and managed to come away with two half-decent blocks. I've made two as I stupidly offered to make Laura's for her... and I'll send off the original smaller one as well with the hope that it can be used on the back or some such. Even though they are pretty, I can't say I'll be sorry to see the back of these.
With the end of 2012 I've now retired from the QCA Bee and have instead turned my attention to the do.good.stitches Care circle. I am stupidly excited to be a part of this fantastic cause.
For January the new hostess with the mostess, Kristy, requested Charm Stars (using this tutorial) in blues and aquas. I was happily surprised to discover that I do have a few blues in my stash, so was able to create two blocks with completely different fabrics.
These stars came together quickly and easily and, after seeing all the pictures popping up in the flickr group, I can not wait to see the assembled quilt. Great block choice, Kristy!
Surprisingly, February's block has already been announced so I jumped right in and got them done, while I was in the mood. Eva-Marie asked for improvisational aeroplane blocks (using this tutorial) in blues and greens, with touches of red, orange and/or yellow to spice things up.
These were fun to put together and allowed a little creativity as far as shapes, sizes, placements etc. Each block is the same at 11.5" x 11.5" - but I like how different they look. The small, stripey version is definitely my favourite. I think this quilt will be very interesting and I am intrigued at how Eva-Marie is going to pull it all together. Will definitely keep an eye on this project.
Lastly, I recently re-discovered these orphan Birds in the Air blocks from when I was a part of the Quilt Block Swap Australia group and thought they'd be perfect sewn together and made into a little charity quilt. Timing for this couldn't have been more apt as Jess has recently put a call-out for donations to those affected by the terrible bushfires in Tasmania, Australia so I plan to get this quilted asap and sent across country.
For more information on how you can help this cause, then please, please, please read this post.
I'm off now to start quilting. No idea what I'm going to do but something should come to mind. Ahh! ;)
Linking up to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.