Monday, August 8, 2011

...Four, Three, Two, One, Lift Off!

Last week I posted about a rocket pillow that I was making for a 4th birthday present.  Despite a few unexpected distractions I thankfully managed to finish it on time and here is the final result.


It measures 13x13in and is stuffed with a 14x14in insert to give it a little more body.  Though I like the size I would probably slightly change the design next time so that the rocket doesn't wrap around the sides so much.  Saying that, though, I don't believe this photo really does it justice - the pictures seem to 'pop' more on the actual pillow.  I also embroidered some subtle craters on the red and green planets to create extra depth and texture.  I was really happy with the result and can see myself making one or two more of these in the future.

For the back of the pillow I tried something new by following this great tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew!  I love the finished look and the zip tightens everything up to create a smooth appearance, whilst also ensuring the insert is fully enclosed. 


AND... check out my new "Missy Mac Creations" label in the bottom corner.  Love!

Finally, the best thing about this cushion was Liam's excitement when he opened his present - "Look, Dad, a rocket pillow!"

Happy Birthday little buddy.  I look forward to going on lots more adventures with you.  :)

E.

5 comments:

  1. Love it, I might have to commission one!
    Mair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad you like it. Send through an email if you'd like me to whip one up for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Erin!! I love this. Liam is one very lucky lttle boy. Do you think you could do one with a jungle animal theme?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. forgot to say that your labels are great, too. Well done. I'm really looking forward to your next display of you creativity!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another brilliant pillow, Erin!!! Love the added embroidery on the planets...

    ReplyDelete