Last Monday I wrote a post listing a number of items that I hoped to have finished within the week. Well... now is the time to own up to my successes and, sadly, shortcomings. Here is a rundown of the projects I did finish.
APRON #1 - Admittedly I did leave a little project off my list, as I didn't want to spoil the surprise. The first apron I planned to make wasn't actually for my own father (sorry Ted) but instead for a friend, Dave, who is a brand new Dad celebrating his first ever Fathers' Day. As he has previously been seen wearing a very pretty, light blue and white apron with lovely little cupcakes pictured on the pocket I thought it was high-time for a change. So, to give Dave a small shot of testosterone, I whipped up a black and grey number with "Who's Your Daddy?" appliqued in red. Here is a picture from their phone (sorry about the quality) complete with props.
BLOCKS - As I've previously mentioned, So Sarah Sews recently put a call out for people to donate either a Charming Stars block or Garden Fence blocks, in pinks and purples. As the two quilts are destined for sisters I really wanted to make one of each so I could really spread the love. Below are the blocks I made.
I am sooooo happy with the Garden Fence block (on the left) and I now have a million and one plans to make a million and one quilts using this pattern. It was so quick and easy to make yet turns out really well. I especially like it in the grey and yellows as per the original design by Hyacinth Quilt Designs.
On the other hand, though, the Charming Stars design (the pattern I used was from Moda Bake Shop but I seem to be having a little trouble finding the direct link now, sorry) wasn't so much fun. I just couldn't seem to get the points to meet the centre square while sticking with the 1/4" seam allowance. In the end I think I may have stuffed up the final sizing so I have bets on (with myself) that it will be used on the back of the final quilt... ;)
PIN CUSHION(S) - For this quick and easy project I just raided my scraps bucket and simply sewed together a few squares and added a button to finish the look. Easy! In fact... these were so quick and simple that I whipped a few more - as I tend to spread my sewing areas around the whole house so just one would never do. Again I apologise for the less than crappy photo.
PLASTIC BAG HOLDER - My poor Mummy is often the one left waiting the longest for sewing presents so I am happy to report that, for once, she wasn't last on the list. This plastic bag holder was destined to be displayed proudly in her kitchen so I made it a little smaller than my own as I liked the idea of keeping it cute and compact, rather than big and bulky. And, yes, before you ask - the chairs I tend to use as props are also on the to-do list. :)
So... now it is time to own up to those WIPS which are still feeling neglected and unloved in my sewing room.
APRON #2 - I am confident that this will be finished this week as the hard part (the applique) is all done and dusted. And, may I say, it is GOR-JUS! Now all I need to do is cut out and sew on the lining, together with the ties. One of the things I love most about this design is the adjustable neck strap - perfect for everyone. Stay tuned for the big reveal.
PERSONALISED PILLOWS - Nope, no progress has been made here. Bring on their 21st birthdays...
TUTORIAL - I obviously didn't get this one done, or you would have seen the post. Never fear, though, as I have all the necessary "ingredients"... I just really need to find my nerve. Hmm...